PTA Reflections is a nationally acclaimed student recognition program to encourage artistic creativity in the classroom and at home. Students of all grades and abilities may participate and explore the arts based on the 2016-2017 theme: What Is Your Story?
To participate, contact your Local/State PTA for official program rules and deadlines.
Students may choose one or all of the available arts categories:
Create an Original Work
Only new and original works inspired by the theme: What Is Your Story? will be accepted. Enter in 1 or more of the following arts categories.
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
Visit your State PTA website for available arts categories and official rules for participation.
Submit Your Entry
Follow your school's PTA deadlines and instructions on how to enter. Your submission must include a completed and signed Student Entry Form.
In your artist statement, tell us about your work and what it means to you.
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g. supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)?
- What/Who was your inspiration?
Volunteer arts and education experts review submissions without knowledge of the entrants’ identity. Judges look for personal interpretations on the program theme that best exemplify creativity and technical skill.
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Visit the art gallery for examples of national award-winning works.
The arts—and the National PTA Reflections program—support student success and serve as a valuable tool for building strong partnerships in your school community. Celebrate arts learning in your school community with Reflections.
National PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Annually, thousands of students will reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.
The theme for the 2016-2017 school year is What Is Your Story? This theme was selected through the Reflections Theme Search Contest. Join the search for a future theme by entering the annual Theme Search Contest.