May 13, 2020
Dear Middle School Students and Families,
We hope you are doing well during these very unusual and sometimes challenging times. We know that online learning has been a new experience for many of us, and we hope you feel everything has gone as well as possible for you.
As we look ahead to next school year, we would like to share information about summer reading assignments. We will still have summer reading because the reasons why we value reading over the summer have not changed, even though our learning situation is different from how it has been in the past. Here are some of the reasons we feel summer reading is important:
- Reading and thinking about texts helps students avoid a “summer slide” where they lose achievement gains they made during the school year. Given the unique situation we have had in the fourth quarter, we feel engaging in reading and thinking during the summer is extremely important.
- Having a shared reading experience over the summer means that English classes can start the year with students having something in common, which helps us to establish and promote a positive classroom climate.
- Normalcy is important, now more than ever. We now have summer reading for grades 6-12 because of its benefits. This is part of our school district culture, and we would like students to have the experience they expect to have in the summer months in terms of reading.
With that in mind, below are links to all of the summer reading assignments. The texts can be found or purchased online. We encourage you to reach out to your current English teacher before the end of the school year if you have any questions about where to find the texts or about the assignment itself.
- 6th Grade Regular Summer Reading
- 6th Grade Honors Summer Reading
- 7th Grade Regular Summer Reading
- 7th Grade Honors Summer Reading
- 8th Grade Regular Summer Reading
- 8th Grade Honors Summer Reading
We hope that the rest of the fourth quarter goes well for you and that you have a safe and relaxing summer!
The Middle School English Department