May 8, 2020
Dear Mentor High School Students and Families,
We hope you are doing well during these very unusual and sometimes challenging times. We know that online learning has been a new experience for many of us, and we hope you feel everything has gone as well as possible for you.
As we look ahead to next school year, we would like to share information about summer reading assignments. We will still have summer reading because the reasons why we value reading over the summer have not changed, even though our learning situation is different from how it has been in the past. Here are some of the reasons we feel summer reading is important:
- Reading and thinking about texts helps students avoid a “summer slide” where they lose achievement gains they made during the school year. Given the unique situation we have had in the fourth quarter, we feel engaging in reading and thinking during the summer is extremely important.
- Having a shared reading experience over the summer means that English classes can start the year with students having something in common, which helps us to establish and promote a positive classroom climate.
- Normalcy is important, now more than ever. We now have summer reading for grades 6-12 because of its benefits. This is part of our school district culture, and we would like students to have the experience they expect to have in the summer months in terms of reading.
With that in mind, you will find all of the summer reading assignments for grades 9-12 below. The texts can be found or purchased online. There are also some eBook copies available through the HUB, see the last page for details. Please note that the due date for assignments is the first day of school. Your assignments will be run through Turnitin, which checks for originality, so please be sure to do your own work. We encourage you to reach out to your current English teacher before the end of the school year if you have any questions about where to find the texts or about the assignment itself. If you are a student entering an AP course, you can reach out to your teacher for next year (Mrs. Coleman for AP Seminar, Mrs. Bolles for AP Language and Composition, and Ms. Richards for AP Literature) with questions about the AP summer assignment.
We hope that the rest of the fourth quarter goes well for you and that you have a safe and relaxing summer!
The Mentor High School English Department
2020 Summer Reading Assignments for Mentor High School
Please find below a list of books and links to summer reading assignments. Happy reading!
English 9: Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
English 9 Honors: The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
English 10: Read one of the following: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
English 10 Honors: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
AP Seminar: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and Opposing Viewpoints argument analysis
English 11: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
AP Language and Composition: The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance by Jenny Nordberg
English 12: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
AP Literature: Short Story Collection (titles in assignment)
eBooks through the HUB
There are two types of eBooks and all of the summer reading titles are available as eBooks, and many titles are also available in eAudiobook format on BOTH platforms below.
Follettshelf are read online only - these eBooks and eAudiobooks are viewed through an internet connection and active brower. Go through the Hub’s website above, and click on the Follettshelf link for access.
- Username is mentor
- Password is cardinals
- If all copies are in use, it will say “title is currently unavailable.”
- If another user closes their browser or stops turning pages, they are timed out, so check back after 30 minutes and the title should become available again.
Sora eBooks are downloadable to a device and check out to you personally for two weeks. If no one is waiting for them, they can be renewed, but if someone else has requested the title, they cannot be renewed.
- Download the app - Sora by Overdrive.
- For your school select:
“NEOnet - Northeast Ohio Network for Educational Technology”
- Then choose Mentor High School.
- Username for students is your student ID.
- Password is cardinals.
An advantage of Sora eBooks is that any notes you take or highlighting from the book will REMAIN in your account even after the book is returned, so you will have access to it later when writing a paper or studying for a quiz.
For eBook questions, contact email@example.com